'Travel brings power and love back into your life.' ~ Rumi
I never expected to love Madrid. My expectations were low because for some reason I had only one thought - it's just a big city. Perhaps subconsciously I also feared starting my travels in a big city because my travel muscles were out of practice.
After a good nights rest I headed out into the city and discovered that no only did I love it but that my travel muscles were not gone, but itching to get some use.
My past method to getting to know a city still stands. Head out, get lost and then find yourself. That would be even more profound if I didn't just naturally get lost in a new place. However, it is a great way to get to know a city's personality rather than its sights.
With my new friend I met at breakfast, we found ourselves at the botanical gardens. I love gardens. The colours, the design and simply the deeply grounding effect that nature has on me.
After this we went and sat at a cafe. This is when it really began to sink in that I was in Madrid. That I was in Europe. That I was a traveller again.
I used the little Spanish I had and learnt a few new words. I discovered that a Spanish tortilla looks nothing like the Mexican one I'm used to and that I love the Spanish language.
After meeting our group of 32 including the team leaders from Inspired Adventures we ventured out into the city again to find us some dinner. Tapas market sounds like a plan! Time to try some scary looking local delicacy.
On the second day we toured around Palacio Real. Heard stories that sounded like some Royal version of the bold and the not so beautiful. Then a bus tour around Madrid. But my favourite part of the day was heading off to the Parque de El Retiro - a huge and stunning city park. I made a plan within minutes of arriving that I would return there when I got back to Madrid after our El Camino.
That night I ventured out on my own and discovered something magical. I walked up to the Templo de Debod to see the oldest building remains in Madrid, and got so much more. I was delighted to hear the colourful pluckings of Spanish guitar and as I moved closer it was clear that they were getting ready for an outdoor concert. Sunset wasn't for a long time (I'm not convinced the sun every goes down in Madrid) so I just walked the gardens, watched the locals walking their dogs and admiring the incredible views. Then the music began ...
Words really can't describe the experience of sitting outdoors on a balmy evening in a foreign country but surrounded by fellow travellers and wonder seekers as the orchestra began to play. Add to this nature's gift of painting the sky orange, yellow and reds. Pure bliss.











No comments:
Post a Comment