Luckily I had a friend who was crazy enough to sign up for the Oxfam trailwalker which is 100km in 48 hours! We supported each other in training and really, she is the one that got me into the habit of training. Before I knew it had a number of 20km plus training walks under my belt.
I've had some issues with my feet throughout the training but with the guidance of a podiatrist, a physiotherapist, my doctor and a few other people making suggestions I have a management plan.
![]() |
| Sportstek spikey massage ball |
Some unforeseen benefits of my training is that I have discovered new tracks, explored new terrain and as a result it is as if the world is opening up with possibilities. I'm already thinking about my next trekking trip. I'll share some of my newly found hiking tracks in and around Melbourne in other posts, for those that are interested in that sort of thing.
The things I've learned are:
- the magic of the spikey massage ball and why everyone should have one
- the benefits of epsom salts and ice
- stretch, stretch, stretch
- going slowly can get you there faster and in once piece
- how to buy hiking boots - when I never thought I'd choose boots over shoes
- the myriad of ways you can lace hiking boots for the terrain you are walking
- the importance of socks!
- water bladders - what the different kinds are and why you would want one over the other
- choosing the right day pack when travelling with camera gear
- Melbourne has amazingly beautiful hiking tracks within 1.5 hours drive
- always take a head torch when walking a track you haven't walked before
- that anti-inflammatories are my friend
- did I mention the amazing benefits of the spikey massage ball?

No comments:
Post a Comment