Sarria to Portomarin
At our starting point there was a climb through Sarria township which had me already lagging behind taking photos. Luckily I wasn't the only snap happy member of our group. And this position in our group gave me the beautiful vision of Pink Ladies being carried on women's packs.
After a day on the bus the day before I was very happy to be out and about and on the way. Having been preparing for this for so long I confess initially I kind felt some anti-climax with our beginning. It was just walking after all. But the scenery we walked through was as varied as it was beautiful and soon my excitement grew.
There is a phenomenon that happens when I walk in nature. It is as though I am infused with some kind of energy and I feel like a child and want to dance through the fields, hug the trees and sing with the birds. So I was glad that during the 23kms I got to spend a little time to myself. I loved getting to know the women but anyone who knows me knows I need time to commune with my surroundings.
Looking back now (eight days ago) I struggle to remember the details of the day. My photos tell me that this was the day that Kate and I found ourselves helping a woman who was travelling with her two year old son. She had been walking for 200kms with a 3WD pram made for rough terrain. Apparently not made for the terrain we walked on that day. In the end Kate ended up with the very smelly pooey baby and I ended up with the pram. Just part and parcel of who you meet on the way and the stories you hear.
The second half of the day I again remained at the back of the group happily taking photos and encouraging others when needed. The stories shared with me this day were humbling and inspiring.
It was an enjoyable day as was the sight of the town as we neared the end of our first day of walking.
I did think it a little cruel to have a steep set of stairs at the end but we made it and enjoyed a dinner with our Spanish guide at the head of the table.
What I leaned from Sarria to Portomarin - everyone has their reasons for walking el Camino and we can either seek to understand or simply acknowledge that their way may be different.















No comments:
Post a Comment